Frame by Frame

Uncategorized April 9, 2009

Remember this lovely steal of a deal?

This has become our default accent color for the family room since it is an awesome color, we have a lot of it, and heck, it was cheap! It is definitely a color I would have been a little shy of in the store if I had to choose it myself so perhaps it is best that it worked out this way because we love it.

Art-wise we want this room to be simple and obviously “family oriented” so portraits of the 3 of us were the perfect solution. We picked up some of these awesome, yet affordable frames from Ikea ($16 each!). We didn’t want to go with the standard black frame or the predictable white frame so we decided to custom match it to the fireplace mantle with our favorite new color: grey

Before we painted we took out the glass:

To get even coverage and a smooth finish we applied 3 coats of paint.

We also matted the prints with a grey border just to tie in the colors even more and Voila! custom colored frames with prints of each of us. We have a few more to paint before we actually commit to hanging them on the wall in any sort of order but for now we are loving the view.

1. Amanda says on April 9, 2009

I love this! Painting a different color really takes them from the standard Ikea to something that looks much more custom :)

2. wofficerswife08 says on April 9, 2009

BEAUTIFUL! I love it! I love your whole house and you are so good at getting great deals! I wish I was this lucky! Thanks for sharing all of your awesome tips!

3. Holly and Sean says on April 9, 2009

Thanks so much everyone~ Katie you will be hooked!!!Kira, thank you SO much. I have so much fun decorating our house that I would probably have a blast spending other people’s money too LOL.

4. hopeful #1 says on April 9, 2009

First, I love those frames and I have some that I too need to paint. Second, I love how you are making such great use of that grey paint! What a freaking deal!!! I love how it’s really worked for that room too! This room is just so cute!

5. Holly and Sean says on April 9, 2009

Hi Kelly! The picture opening is 11.5 inches so I ordered 11×14 prints in matte finish from a local drug store, but you can do it online at Walmart as well. I then cropped the picture down to 11×11 at home since it was cheaper than having a custom sized print. Each print was $11!

6. Molly says on April 10, 2009

So cute! Why can’t I be creative like this? I’m sure I could be but I always have excuses. I want to be all crafty like you and make my cute home adorable. But it’s just a disaster zone.

7. Mommy Moreno says on April 11, 2009

you are doing an AWESOME JOB! I love your house and your style and Im completely green with envy that youre able to make it look like that without breaking the bank … unreal.

8. J says on April 16, 2009

Great idea! I love how the painted frames look, and the pictures in them are so pretty too.