Kitchen Questions Answered

Uncategorized June 3, 2009

I have been missing in action on the blog these last few days, because there has been so much action around here. I have multiple projects almost done using this beautiful turquoise mistint and this oyster-grey mistint (both only $5!!! You cannot beat that if you want to paint an entire room for only $5).

But before I share those projects I want to address all the wonderful responses I have received on the kitchen. I am excited to hear that so many of you are about to embark on similar projects in your own lovely spaces. It is amazing what a couple coats of paint can do to transform a room or piece of furniture!

Because I received so many emails and a couple comments asking questions on what we did and how we did it I thought I would hit all the birds with this one stone so here are the details. If I don’t cover something you were wondering about just comment here and I will let you know!

1. Did you use a sprayer? If so what kind?
Yes, we did use a paint sprayer. The longest part of this project was actually removing doors and putting them back afterwards. Sprayers are that fast! Total painting time on the doors and drawers? 15 minutes! Yup, that’s all. The total time for this project was 6 hours, basically watching paint dry.

The other benefit is the amazingly smooth, professional looking finish that sprayers provide. We have used the sprayer that you buy at Home Depot in the paint section but that basically just whips the paint through a propeller and we found that was splotchy and we ended up using a sponge roller to smooth it out so definitely don’t waste your $100 on one of those (I believe ours was from Black & Decker).

The sprayer we use is an attachment for an air compressor. There are various types of air compressors, so I am not sure what size you need for all the different models but we have a 10 gallon unit (they usually run about $200-$400). We already had this since we use it with nail guns and staplers for the floors and trim, but you can rent them at Home Depot for $18 per day. We then bought a paint sprayer attachment for the compressor (ours is made by Campbell Hausfeld and cost $29 at Home Depot) but I am sure you can rent them too.

If you do a lot of paint projects I highly recommend investing in air compressor. I use mine pretty much daily.

2. Did you spray the cabinets?
No, just the doors and drawers. We used a sponge roller to do the edges and sides of the cabinets since it is faster than protecting everything else (which you have to do with the sprayer).

3. What color paint did you choose?
The paint is Behr Premium kitchen and bath in Candlelight Ivory.

4. How did you spray the sides of the drawer pulls?
I first sprayed the backs and sides then set them upright to finish so that the most visible area is not marked by laying them down to spray the sides later.

I think that covers everything that was asked, but let me know if you need any other info.
Happy Painting!

1. Kristin says on June 3, 2009

Thank you so much for the tips! Though I don't have any painting projects in the near future… I can certainly see the plusses to having your own sprayer and compressor. I'll keep this in mind!

2. Erin says on June 4, 2009

You have done such a great job, Holly!! I actually rather adore the kitchen backsplash:) It's amazing what some creativity, hardwork, and a big bucket of white paint can do!

3. Newlun says on June 4, 2009

Thanks for posting this little 'how-to'. I would love to paint the cabinets in my kitchen one day and this just may be the kick in the butt that I needed. I have one question for you… Did you paint the inside of your cabinets? Our cabinets were originally the builder grade orangey oak (kinda like your 'before' picture), but the previous owners used an espresso gel stain over the top of that. So our cabinets look pretty nice until you get up close and really have a look….then you can see how crappy and chipped up they are. I'd love to just paint over the top, but I wonder if I should also paint the inside?? It kinda bugs me now that when I open a cabinet door or drawer, the ugly orangey color is still visible.

4. Holly and Sean says on June 4, 2009

I would recommend painting the backs of the doors, but the inside would be a lot or work! Ours happen to be just white laminate shelves so it was easy to just leave it “as is”. Good luck painting!

5. Hiker - Kelly B says on June 14, 2009

Your kitchen makeover looks amazing! I can't believe how quickly you got it done. Would you mind sharing the model # of the paint sprayer attachment you have?

6. delightfuldwelling says on June 16, 2009

Thanks for the tips. We have a pretty big air compresser and I was wondering how well the sprayer attachments would work. I didn't know they were that cheap either, $29!

7. Sims Family says on July 18, 2009

Holly, I just found your blog and LOVE your work. I have a question about your kitchen. Did you have to sand the cabinets before you sprayed them? How about prime? (That is what scares me!)

8. Sims Family says on July 18, 2009

Oh, one more question. Do you put paint thinner with your paint before using the air compressor? If so, does it change the color much or make the paint cover less? (Thanks!)

9. Goodwill Haunting says on September 12, 2009

Hi…new to your blog but love it! Especially the kitchen reno. I am very interested in doing this to my kithcen, but also want to know if you sanded and primed the cabinets before you painted them. Thanks for sharing!

10. Holly and Sean says on October 17, 2010

Hey guys! I did not sand, just because I knew we would be installing new cabinets in a year or two. But you would probably want to sand a little if you wanted long-term use. I wouldn't sand the varnish off completely but just enough to allow the primer to adhere a little more.