My biggest challenge yet

WhiteBerry Reinvented July 8, 2009

While this was actually one of my favorite pieces I’ve bought I cannot tell you how many headaches this thing has given me!!! I started by painting the entire thing, only to discover that the handles were made in an odd size and none of the new ones would fit, so I had to go back and fill all the holes, sand, repaint, and re-varnish.

All along my game plan was to go “french antique” with this guy. I loved the romantic look and since it is a little more formal looking I thought it would be great in the dining room (which is lacking in the furniture department).

I chose a soft blue-ish grey color and then distressed it in various areas all the way down to the original wood finish, and just to the cream layer in others.

I chose to only leave the middle drawers with handles, and put hanging pulls on the outer 6 drawers to give it a bit more sophisticated look.

There is a lot of variation in color in these pictures because it was hard to get a good shot with the sun shining directly in a 12 foot window opposite of this wall so better pics to come in the next couple days!
I have a huge 6 foot mirror I am actually going to hang above it, but I need to get some heavy duty anchors first to avoid wall damage, so I am sure this is not the final “layout” of the wall.

Have a great night!

1. Erin says on July 8, 2009

This is so so so so so so so so pretty!!! You have exhuisite taste, Holly. Just lovely.

2. Amber says on July 8, 2009

I love this piece. The curvy shape of the front and the legs are some of my very favorite styles of dressers and furniture.

That lamp you have sitting on top is cute too! Is it a cadelabra under there?

3. RLG says on July 8, 2009

I love that you changed up the pulls, so everything doesn't match. More interesting. Tell me again — you're using a compressor to paint your pieces??? You could start a business painting things for the amateur (like me). xoxo

4. Rayia says on July 8, 2009

I have almost same dresser. And had planned to do almost the same thing. Where did you get those amazing drawer “pulls”?

5. Jen says on July 8, 2009

Oh my! I just purchased a dresser nearly identical to this a few weeks ago. The before pics are in my blog :-)

We are going a high gloss black with ours.

Yours turned out stunning… I only hope I can get the same!

6. Kira says on July 9, 2009

Gosh Im soo jealous! you have an amazing imagination to take something and make it a whole new piece :) LOVE IT

7. Rebecca says on July 13, 2009

So pretty! I want to find a piece that looks like this! I was wondering what the paint colour was called that you used and you mentioned you also used a varnish…would you mind telling me what kind? Also I love the 1970's china cabinet you recently did and was wondering if you put a coat of varnish on that too? or what kind of paint and finish you used on that piece! Thank you for all your inspiration!!!