Bedroom Armoire

WhiteBerry Reinvented July 28, 2009

The previous owners of this cabinet took a lot of time and brown paint to give it an update a few years ago. This is one of my first pieces that I have had to “refinish” over a previous paint job, so I wasn’t sure whether it was worth my time and effort to sand down old roller marks and brush strokes. I decided that it wasn’t worth it, which really made it a fast project.

As always, the before:

The After:

It is set up to hold a TV, but I also added 2 shelves inside so I can house sweaters or jeans (until it goes to a new home, that is) since it is in our master bedroom right now.

Just a minimal amount of distressing. I like the contrast of the chocolate brown coming through the minty-celadon green.

1. MMM says on July 28, 2009

A-m-a-z-i-n-g job, once again! :) I have been searching my local craigslist for items but I just get so overwhelmed!?! Any tips as far as what a good $$ is and what to look for in a piece? TIA for any help/advise!

I am totally loving your blog and your name, btw! My name is Holly as well so when I pulled-up your blog to show my husband your fantastic work he asked me why my name was signed on the bottom… duh- I'm not the only *Holly* in this world! :-P

Thanks for sharing! And keep 'em comin'! If you run out of room in your house- I have plenty of room for your pieces in my house! ;)

2. Alison says on July 29, 2009

As always, love, love. It would be so cool to list your paint colors used! I am always intrigued by the light greys, greens, and creamy whites that blend so well together!

3. julie says on July 29, 2009

hi holly! i just found your blog and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! i just love everything in your home including that sweet bald baby head! too sweet! i want to repaint some of my furniture but it seems too hard! i need step by step direction! i need to keep reading to find out! i just started a blog, i would love for you to come visit! i am a follower and looking forward to more! thanks! julie

4. MrsKBJ says on July 29, 2009

Another fantastic transformation! I am refinishing a desk I bought on CL and I am loving those half moon handles. I am going to pick up some from Lowes. Is is hard to let go “sell” the furniture? I would have a hard time parting with some of those pieces. I guess for the right price- anything is for sale! LOL! I guess it is really nice swap out furniture, then you never get board with anything:) Kelly

5. Meredith says on July 29, 2009

I love the distressing on this piece Holly!

I know you mentioned that your home is now your “showroom”–are you selling all the pieces in your home?

6. Jaime says on July 29, 2009

I really like it. I'm pretty sure my son's dresser matches that piece – although his is painted blue. Great job!

7. Astrid says on July 29, 2009

I'm loving that new paint job! It really gave that piece of furniture new life. I'm going try painting furniture…I'm pretty nervous about it!

8. Holly and Sean says on July 29, 2009

Thank you so much everyone!!!

To answer a few questions, YES! It is hard to sell some of them. They all have a little place in my heart and a little of my imagination, but I feel good when I see them go to good homes.

As of right now I have such a back log of furniture in the garage to be done that when people come to view, almost anything they ask about is available. I need to clear out room for all my finished pieces, and they just don't look as fabulous in a garage LOL. Yesterday I had a buyer come by to look at one piece and she actually bought a completely different one and is now waiting on 2 of my unfinished pieces as well for her new condo. So it all depends, I don't actively try to sell everything but it usually has a price in my head already.

9. Shannon and Carey says on July 29, 2009

You said: “I decided that it wasn't worth it, which really made it a fast project.”

BWA HA HA!!!

Love it and great attitude.

-Shannon in Austin

10. Holly and Sean says on July 30, 2009

Thanks so much everyone! The bird prints are from HomeGoods about 3 months ago. They were $11 each if I recall.

LOL, it will be the one moving, not us!!!

11. Kristin says on July 30, 2009

It's beautiful. You keep topping yourself! Good thing you're selling this stuff so others can share in all this goodness. ;)