Curtain Call

Uncategorized August 24, 2009

Back in April I bought 2 sets of canvas drapes from Ikea for the family room. At $39 per set I thought that was the mother of all deals for window coverings, so imagine my delight when I scanned the 2010 Ikea catalog last week and saw them with an ever better everyday price: $29!
Definitely in the budget.

I had bought some window coverings previously for the living room, but I have felt lately like they are just a smidge too white, and a little too sheer.
Case in point:

So I swapped them out yesterday with the new ones and Voila! instant improvement:

ps: you can see a little bit of my wallpaper project taking shape to the right…

Another steal of a deal I just couldn’t resist recently was a trip to a rural library near our cabin. Rural libraries are amazing! They have a pretty great collection of older books, and like many city libraries they have an ongoing book sale to sell old books to raise money for new books. Over the years I have found this to be the easiest and cheapest way to get your hands on neat, old books. Well this library in particular REALLY wanted to get rid of some books. They sell reusable shopping bags for $4, and for an extra $1 you can fill the bag with as many books as you like! That’s crazy talk to a book lover like me, so of course filled it, I did!
About 85% of the books on the table came from that sale.
My favorite find was a book called “Queen of Hearts”. It is about Marie Antoinette and is filled with lovely prints. Perhaps I will scan them and do something fun later on…

1. Kim says on August 24, 2009

Awesome deals all around. I may have to check out Ikea for some curtains.

I like libraries for magazines, too. Our local one has great choices. I scored ten or twelve Martha's from the 90s…. great craft ideas. Plus, when I'm done – I just donate them back. =)

2. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle says on August 25, 2009

The covers on the books are such beautiful colors. I could definitely see a collection of books on your shelves arranged by color.

The curtains really do make a difference. The look great.

3. Taryn says on August 25, 2009

I like the book- I would love to see that book- I would especially love to read it. What a beautiful book.

4. Little Lovables says on August 25, 2009

wow, that is a great deal for all of those books, exp the Queen of Hearts one!

love the colors of them and the new drapes are lovely! I can never find good white canvas, mine are the khaki kind

5. bagfashionista says on August 25, 2009

did you get the jute rug from ikea too? I was contemplating it but was afraid the fibers would be all over the house…it's such a good price!!

6. hopeful #1 says on August 25, 2009

That's such a great deal on those books and the curtains too! Gotta love a great bargain and Ikea… I mean they always have SOMETHING on sale!

7. Holly and Sean says on August 25, 2009

Thanks so much everyone!!

Steph, the rug isn't from Ikea, but I actually can't remember where it came from. Sean found it and picked it out. I haven't bought one from ikea before, but I have bought cheap ones at home goods, etc. Those ones really do shed! So far the ones I've seen that are a little more (in the $100-$200 range) definitely don't shed much. I haven't had any issues with this one.

8. Arzu says on August 25, 2009

Your house looks great! Did you make the sofa slipcover yourself or buy it? I desperately need one and this looks so much nicer than the ones I have seen in stores.

9. Kristin says on August 25, 2009

You got some pretty great deals! Agreed that drapes #2 are much better. Can't wait to see more of the wallcover idea — the sneak peek is very enticing!

10. Flora Bud says on August 25, 2009

Woohoo, I just purchased the same curtains last week!! Now I am in love with your all white curtain rod. Mhhhh I wonder if I can paint mine?!?!!?
    Way to go!

11. Rebecca says on August 25, 2009

Your living room looks so calm and relaxing! Perfect to curl up and read one of those books! I really like the curtains…its hard to find full length white panels…I found mine at Jysk but I still have 3 windows to get curtains for so I might need to take a trip out to Ikea! Can't wait to see your project you are working on with the wallpaper!!

12. Emily says on August 25, 2009

You've gotta love IKEA!! I love how just the slightest change can make a big improvement. Well done – and what a great tip on the books. I'll have to be on the look-out next time I'm driving through the Indiana/Ohio countryside visiting family.

13. Yansy says on August 25, 2009

Love the new curtains and I can't wait to see your new wallpaper project. Great finds, I love old books!

14. Tracey says on August 26, 2009

Aren't you a great bargain hunter! I've seen those Ikea curtains before and they are wonderful…looks so nice in your home!

:) T

15. from the left coast says on August 26, 2009

Hi, I'm a new reader and totally enamored with your white decorating.

I thought I spied the Queen of Hearts on your table even before you mentioned it. The prints are wonderful, but the book itself is a delight. It's truly readable and academic at the same time, you should give it a shot.

16. AnaLisa says on August 26, 2009

I have the same question as Arzu. Any tips for finding white slipcovers? Any good websites to custom order slipcovers from? I had someone come out to give an estimate and the quote was appx. double what I paid for the couches. Didn't seem realistic. I'm still considering the Ikea Ektorp sectional but am thinking it would be nice to find a way to slipcover the couches we already have…

17. eve says on August 28, 2009

Looks great! Do you know the Ikea name of the curtains? I've been looking for curtains for months but the only affortable ones i find are see-thru. I'm on the Ikea website now trying to find them, but i'm just not sure which exact ones they are…