New Old Chandelier

Uncategorized October 21, 2009

This is the chandelier I picked up at the Architectural Clearinghouse (check it out if you are in the Edmonton area!) for $15. It was in great condition, worked well but just felt dated.

A coat of grey paint and aged with a brown glaze made my new chandelier feel delightfully old. It just seems to fit with the room much better.

The other bonus was that our new chandelier has 12 40watt bulbs, which give us a total of 480 watts while our last one only had 6 25watt bulbs for a total of 150. This makes a HUGE difference, especially because the ceilings are so high.

1. Amber says on October 21, 2009

wow I am on the hunt for a vintage chandelier this post made me realize I need to look beyond color and look at shape!

2. Rebecca says on October 21, 2009

I love all the arms this chandy has! What a great find! I really want to check out that salvage place sometime…is that the same one you got that gorgeous window from?

3. Jamilyn says on October 21, 2009

What a great before and after. In the before picture, I never thought that “ugly” chandelier could be transformed. You did an amazing job! Jamilyn

4. edenala says on October 21, 2009

WOW the power of paint!!! But I do think I'd like the chandelier even more if the black metal parts were also painted grey:)

5. Cote de Texas says on October 22, 2009

wow – this might just be my favorite project of yours ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some sconces painted like this- I might just have to copy you!!!!

6. angela says on October 22, 2009

The chandelier looks amazing! You did a wonderful job! Can I ask how you kept the gray from getting on the black iron “arms?” Are they removable? Great work!

7. Invited In says on October 23, 2009

Wow!! You are amazing!! I am just in love with everything you have shared on your blog. I just sprayed a huge craigslist cabinet…..I wish I had found your blog before I sprayed it. I think I may have sprayed it a different color after seeing all of your white!!!
    Thanks for sharing:)