New Slipcover

Uncategorized March 3, 2010

We hope you are having a nice Wednesday!

Wren wants to say hello to her Grandma, who has been out of town for a few weeks working on her latest renovation!!! Wren has been very enthralled with peanut butter and strawberry jam pitas lately (much less mess than sandwiches!) and her new shoes grandma got her.

She has to practice her lady-like walking because we learned that she going to be a flower girl this time next year! Her auntie Torri is now engaged (welcome to the family Braden!) as of last weekend~

I am so blown away by the interest many of you have in this easel! I didn’t look at it twice until it came up for bidding but like you, Sean thought it was a unique piece and was happy to see it come home. There was a small repair to make to the bottom ledge, but it was easily fixed with some wood glue and clamps.

And I think our new loveseat has a favorite family member! Mung kee has taken up residence underneath and seems to find it very cozy under there.

I am washing rugs today so it looks a little bare in here, but I think the legs would probably be best with a coat of paint to add some character.
So many of you are interested in slipcovers but are hestitant to invest or look into them, but I would highly recommend calling a few seamstresses and just get a quote! You may be surprised how affordable they are, in fact they are probably equivalant to professionally cleaning your furniture yearly. As for fabric, it really depends on your needs. I went with a sateen cotton because I felt it was a little less rigid than denim but you can use twill, denim, even linen if you are fairly good to your furniture. Including fabric (which I spent $120 on at Chintz design center) the slipcover came to exactly $300.
Talk to you tomorrow!

1. Kacey says on March 3, 2010

I LOVE THE EASEL! Sorry, caps were in order for that one. Seriously, it looks amazing! Way to go on that find.

I think the love seat looks great with its new slipcover. I have so many pieces I want to have slipcovers made for, but the cost is keeping me from doing anything. Maybe someday…

2. Natalie Catherine says on March 3, 2010

it's amazing what a slip cover can do to transform a piece! looks lovely! plus slip covers mean easy washing right?? :) that's good when occasionaly we have a sippy cup leakage disaster all over. hehe.

3. dedeetsyshop says on March 3, 2010

I slipcover and upholster everything in oatmeal linen! I am wantine sooo bad to do white, but we have a VERY sloppy boxer dog! The oatmeal linen cleans very easily! You are making me want white though!

4. Lynda @ Happenstance Home says on March 3, 2010

Your new easel is so unique. I think you are going to have a lot of fun with it! Imagine all the possibilities. I am a huge fan of slipcovers. Slipcovered chairs and sofa's have saved me many a headache.

5. Lisa says on March 3, 2010

Oh I love it!

Speaking of rugs – how do you wash yours – in the regular washer and dryer? If so – where did you get yours? I need one that is white and kid safe (aka bleachable!) Thanks!

6. Jess says on March 3, 2010

LOVE the slipcover. You have a great seamstress. And of course, love seeing that adorable Wren. How fun to see her be in a wedding!

7. Mary says on March 3, 2010

Totally loving that easel! You would never know it was a newer piece! It looks great in the room, are you going to keep it? It would be fab with a big sea-inspired painting propped up on it!

The slipcover is fantastic, and I agree now that I see it in the room. The legs do need to be painted. Hows the laundry room coming?

~mary~

8. Just Beachy says on March 3, 2010

I love that slipcover , mine came in at $290 for the labour for my settee , worth every penny.
    I was so shocked to see the image I created for city cottage on your blog, its a great little shop .

9. Audra says on March 3, 2010

Wren looks so adorable!
    I love the easel and the love seat. I can't wait to see the legs with a little paint.

10. J and Company says on March 3, 2010

Wow! I just love your ideas. And I love how upbeat and fun you seem. And I agree, those legs would look great with a little touch of paint!

11. Mrs. Chic says on March 3, 2010

The easel looks great! What affordable option slipcovers are, i alwsy thought they would clsot more – yours looks great

12. Judy says on March 3, 2010

I have always loved slipcovers but have never invested in them YET!. For whatever it's worth, I really like the wood legs with the white slipcover but whatever you do will look great.

Maybe you can slipcover the legs? (ha ha)

Judy

13. lena says on March 4, 2010

I have been tossing around the idea of a slipcover for our couch. I'm certainly going to get a hold of a seamstress and get some quotes. Thanks for the inspiration (and push).

14. Nancy E. J. says on March 4, 2010

Oh my goodness! I absolutely love the look of slipcovers and that one came out fabulous!

I wish I lived in your area. You're seamstress does amazing work and for such a deal! I recently asked two seamstresses for a quote on a slipcover for a glider and they both quoted me almost $400, not including fabric! The glider costs less than that new!

15. Grace says on March 6, 2010

You're right I had not idea slip-covers were that inexpensive. I may have to give them a try. Thanks for letting us know.