Sea-Side Dresser

WhiteBerry Reinvented May 24, 2010

I admittedly forgot the before shot again… but thankfully this dresser has a partner in it’s crime of ugliness that betrays it’s cute new look. Here is the yet-to-be painted vanity. It’s clear that these antiques had seen some good days, but as of today they were in rough shape.

Like I mentioned with my last dresser, since we’ve been back home I’ve been feeling a little bit creative and felt like pulling out some other colors (besides white and grey) and adding a few personalized touches by hand painting.

Maybe it was my time spent re-connecting with the ocean, or the arrival of cottage season, but I really wanted to go beachy with this dresser.

Even though they aren’t “necessary” on a waterfall dresser, I wanted to add really chunky glass knobs. No beach is complete without sea-glass!

The numbers are all hand painted and distressed for a fun touch. I love seeing dressers with numbers, particularly in kids rooms. It is such a good tool for learning and counting, or for us adults it is kind of a whimsical touch or a nod back to our days spent at the city pool.

I think the numbers would be great in a busy cottage where a single bedroom has 2 or 3 guest bunks in a room (like ours should have, it’s like grand central station out there!).

But I would be happy to just let it sit in the living room forever more, bringing a smile whenever I walk by, reminding me of sunny days and cool water.

1. ELW says on May 24, 2010

Beautiful dresser! I love waterfall furniture and you have made it even more lovely.

2. Sandy's Place says on May 24, 2010

Holly, I love this dresser. What a fantastic combination of the blue & white and those numbered drawers just set it off. I have taken the plunge and set up a spray booth in my garage on the weekend. Only problem is I am finding the spray gun spits out too much paint. I may need to invest in a spray gun with a compressor. I guess its all just trial & error. Have a great day. Sandy x

3. betting_im_not says on May 24, 2010

i have a very sad looking vanity very similar to the before photo. i'd love to paint it, but i'm terrified of the veneer! any suggestions?

4. Amanda says on May 25, 2010

hello lovely. just because i've not commented in a while doesn't mean i haven't been lurking, er i mean enjoying your posts. :)

this dresser takes my breath away. everything about it, i love!

so pretty as usual…

5. AnaLisa says on May 27, 2010

This is so cute. I love this dresser. What a great idea to stick the numbers on it like that and the colors are fun too.

6. MichelleFull says on June 4, 2010

I have a very similar dresser & vanity set….I'd love to see what you do with the vanity as I'm still debating my options…