French Armoire

WhiteBerry Reinvented June 9, 2010

When I saw this ragged looking armoire a few weeks ago I just about started hyperventalating! It was SO perfect, and if the paint wasn’t in such rough condition I think it would have been nice to just touch it up in a few spots.But it was a little too far gone.

My favorite movie is Marie Antoinette, and at the moment I am also reading a biography of her that I am really enjoying (random fact: Marie Antoinette’s first child, Marie Therese, and Wren share a birthday exactly 230 years apart). So I have been inspired by the colors and style of the time and wanted to make this armoire feel like it was just plucked from a Paris flea market.

I am really happy with how it turned out~

I did a mixture of grey and cream, but the black really popped through in the distressing.

I also glazed it afterward to really feel old and a little dirty (I know you are going to ask me how to do this, but I promise I will be sharing this and more in an upcoming e-book!!).

I have another armoire sitting in the garage as well, and if this guy finds a new home quickly I might just reproduce the same look so I can love it a little longer, specially because I’ve currently turned the dining room into a lounging area around this armoire.
Au revoir mon Chere!

1. 1 Funky Woman says on June 9, 2010

First off what a great find! And second that color is so fantastic! That is exactly the color I want for my living room wall. What were the colors that you used!

Amazing job, I am truly drooling!

2. April Francom says on June 9, 2010

STUNNING!!! Absolutely perfect!. I wish I lived a lot closer :(

*I am thinking more and more about transforming my whole house to white!

3. livingladuree says on June 9, 2010

I love your blog and have yet to write until now…you mentioned Marie Antoinette. Favorite movie of all time. Funny enough I just started a blog (literally two days ago)and she is one of my inspirations. Please visit and tell me what you think. Intimidating world, this blog land is, and you do it so gracefully. Thank you for the daily inspiration!

Amy
    livingladuree.blogspot.com

4. Kelsey says on June 9, 2010

OH.MY.GOSH!!!!! That is so gorgeous! GREAT job!!! Keep it and treasure it forever…u NEED to keep it!

5. ...love Maegan says on June 9, 2010

The first thing I thought when I saw it in my dashboard was “I bet she painted it white” ….and you totally proved me wrong. I love the gray and the two-toned affect. Amazing job!

6. Kim says on June 9, 2010

I just adore your work , absolutely amazing and inspiring! I made youe headbaord and it came out lovely – getting ready to repurpose one of those old brass chandeliers, paint it white and perhaps add some crystal pendants, not sure yet. Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Kate of Redefining Décor says on June 9, 2010

I absolutely love the contract between the colors. I've got a few pieces in my garage that I have to finish and then find homes before I can start a big project. You are always such an inspiration! Thank you.

8. christine says on June 9, 2010

Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette is one of my absolute faves. I could watch that move on mute it is just so beautiful!! I just finished reading 'Abundance' the story of Marie Antoinette… is that the one you're reading?

The armoire is beautiful, what's the inside look like?

9. Dagi Mara says on June 9, 2010

Es ist einfach perfekt! Der Schrank ist super geworden! Die Farbe gefällt mir sehr gut. Und wie der Schrank sich in deinem Zimmer präsentiert ist einfach grandios! Beautiful!
    Benutzt du Lack oder Acrylfarben?

Liebe Grüße
    Dagi

10. Amanda says on June 9, 2010

holy loveliness! i mean, some things are so pretty there are no words. this piece is that for me.

sidenote: i'm never, ever a fan of brass or anything of the gold-ish sort. but those sconces, with all that delicious white, are just stunning.

always inspiring you are. :)

11. Kacey says on June 9, 2010

It's seriously gorgeous! I've been wanting to do a piece very similarly with grey and white but kept pushing it to the back burner. Now I'm inspired!

Kacey

12. Sandy's Place says on June 9, 2010

Hi Holly, Whow love this piece. You are going to be bombarded with questions now on paint colours and techniques. Great job and a really lovely piece. Head over to my blog and see the armoire that I recently did. Sandy x

13. julie says on June 9, 2010

ok holly! after i saw this amoire i starting hyperventalating too! because i have a very similar looking amoire that i painted black! i have been wanting to paint it a soft cream or gray color! and here it is! it looks wonderful! i am just wondering! did you have to do anything to the black paint before you started with the lighter colors? this girl would be ever so greatful for some help! thanks!

14. tiffany says on June 11, 2010

I love this color combination–it is so light and fresh. You did a beautiful job! I want to redo Ashlyn's room in this sort of palette and how I wish we lived closer to each other so you could do a headboard for me…