Door progress

Foyer, paint June 22, 2010

Remember how our front door looks like it had molars carved into it?

Then I tried to distract your attention with some jazzy chandeliers and plants?

We installed the door we found in our basement last month, and I actually have had the door painted for a LONG time, but I kept putting off sharing it because I have not yet sealed it completely. I still have to do 2 more coats of semi-gloss verathane, but I thought I would show you now before I forget!

We haven’t gotten the new, non frosted glass, windows yet, and keep in mind that we plan on having the whole exterior painted grey (one reader suggested getting rid of the stucco but that just isn’t going to happen on our budget LOL), but I am MUCH happier with the front door now. And to think we transformed it for only $17 in paint!
ps- yes, I still need to get candles for the chandys… I’m just too lazy to make a special trip for some.
PPS- Don’t forget to get your latest paint projects ready for Fresh Coat Friday!!

1. Melodie says on June 22, 2010

I have to admit, at first I didn't like the idea of replacing the wooden door(as I am a big hater of steel doors lol). But, now that it's all done, I just love it! It makes such a statement.

2. Melissa says on June 22, 2010

Oh my, what a transformation! The entire front door area looks wonderful. Most of all, I love the fact that the door project cost you less than $20…what a deal! I can’t believe you made that big of an impact for so cheap. I LOVE IT! :)

3. alisha says on June 22, 2010

Love the black!!! I think it would also look nice to add some trim/framing underneath the windows – to mimic the paneled door.

4. christine says on June 22, 2010

Looks fantastic – all the black ties together so nicely! I can just imagine once the gray stucco comes in.

Love it :)

5. Shar says on June 22, 2010

I think the stucco will look great when you paint it grey. It does not look bad, now. I have seen many stucco homes in all sorts of styles, even vintage 1930's, that look great. Your front porch already looks so inviting.

6. Holly and Sean says on June 22, 2010

Thanks guys, we are pretty smitten with the transformation!

Dancing sweet pea, if you check out my site (link on top left of my homepage) you can take a peek at all the pieces I have available!

7. Karen says on June 23, 2010

Looks good…we are getting ready to paint our ugly door as well…what are you going to do for the address numbers?

8. TEM325 says on June 23, 2010

It looks wonderful!!! The black is such a strong statement and I kept going back to the before shots to see if the mat & planters were originally there—with the old door, I never even noticed them! But, now with the black, they all are tired together and looking great!

9. Emily A. Clark says on June 23, 2010

The chandeliers are perfect! And, I agree the door is much better–although not every one could say they have a front door with teeth on it. . .

10. Pam says on June 23, 2010

Great job, your frontdoor is beautiful and so are your accent pieces, keep up the good work.

11. LifeBegins@Thirty says on June 23, 2010

Looks great!!! Such a striking entrance.

What type of verathane are you using for the door? I just painted my door and have been wondering if I should be verathaning too… hhhmmmmm….

Thanks!

12. leira says on June 23, 2010

Great job holly – I have been working on painting inspired by you. I cannot wait to post pictures.

13. Rebecca says on June 23, 2010

It looks great!! Love that you went with a black front door! It's going to look so striking next to the future grey stucco!! (I looooove the candle holders on either side of the front door)