Antique Sewing Table

WhiteBerry Reinvented August 26, 2010
I love how sewing machines used to be actual furniture. It is so much cooler that furniture had purpose in those days and that “gadgets” were pretty, versus all of todays gizmos that just seem to crowd our homes and lives.
Although this little table has long since lost it’s sewing machine I still think it has some life left in it.
Even though it isn’t a real drawer I thought it needed a little ‘jewellery’ so this anthro knob finally found a partner.
I have painted some really beautiful sewing tables for clients and this one is definitely on the small side. But it is tall enough to pull a chair up to which would make it a perfect little desk for a tiny corner.

Or a bedside table for todays towering pillow top mattress sets!

The top still flips up, but I think it looks nicer closed.
I always seem to get attached to these little treasures much more easily than the big show-stopping pieces… I wonder why?

1. Kristin says on August 26, 2010

It's very cute! :) My desk where I use my computer is actually an old sewing table, but it looks like a desk with 3 drawers down one side. I detached the sewing machine and bolted the sewing machine hole closed. It is soon getting a coat of paint for it's almost finished home in a our newly remodeled basement. :)

2. Allison says on August 26, 2010

What a pretty table! I love that knob you chose and your flowers are beautiful with it. That looks nice in your home! I can see whay you are attached. Lovely table.

3. The Wood Family says on August 26, 2010

What a great piece and I love that it has kind of a hidden story. My mom still uses her sewing machine that lives in a table. They don't build them like they used to.

4. Linda says on August 26, 2010

Wow I have kept the same table that held a sewing machine. I took it all apart and took off the extra top , took away the top with the hole in it for the machine and added the solid piece back on. It has become a cute table for using to hold supplies in my sewing roo. I also painted it white.

5. Y Mama says on August 26, 2010

LOVE!! My mom has my great grandmothers sewing table! I covet that thing!!! It's in great shape and stained dark, so I would probably leave it, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of a real functioning piece of furniture. Thanks for all your post!

6. Sarah says on August 26, 2010

I really like this. The other day when I was at the thrift store I saw a antique sewing table that I almost purchased, but I need an actual working drawer for storage so I had to pass. :( I love yours, and the cute Anthropologie knob too!

7. Kacey says on August 26, 2010

Very cute! I always bypass those cute little sewing tables because most of those I come across still have the machine inside…and I would feel bad breaking them up!

8. Preppy 101 says on August 26, 2010

I have my grandmother's sewing machine – black steel in the wooden table. I may have to paint it! The drawer on hers is a working drawer with three tiny compartments. Darling! Thanks for sharing. xoxo

9. Lindy says on August 30, 2010

I love sewing cabinets. I have two in my house now and I'm hoping to find a great one for a powder room redo I'm working on. They come in great shapes and I love the height — perfect for so many spots in the house.