Saucy Succulents

Garden September 29, 2010
Last January I popped a little succulent into my cart at Home Depot after seeing it sitting so lonesome in the clearance aisle. Over the last six months it has flourished under my lack of attention and chronic under-watering.
Photobucket
So when my thyme all went the way of the dinosaurs late in August I knew what would probably be the best choice for replacing it.

I LOVE the look of thyme, but it just doesn’t work indoors in our dry climate for the winter. So I am hoping these new succulents will do just as well as their little friend!
Photobucket
Besides knowing that they are succulents I haven’t the slightest notion as to what they are.
Photobucket
I wanted a bit of variation so I went with some pokey looking fellas as well as some lamb’s ear softies.
Photobucket
Photobucket
My next Fall update will be taking place on this bench so stay tuned for the mini-makeover~
Photobucket

1. Allison says on September 30, 2010

I love all those succulents in that wire basket! That wire basket is great! I will need to keep my eye open for one of those. It fits in beautifully with all of your whites and neutrals. I'm also eyeing some fabulous grain sack pillows in the background. Your home is stunning.

2. Amy @ Journey Mum says on September 30, 2010

That is the cutest little thing I have ever seen. How in the world did it make it to the clearance aisle? I Have a black thumb so something hardy like that would definitely be the way to go for me too.

3. Krystal Wight Armstrong says on September 30, 2010

These cute little green plants really are pretty, with the cheery color in that awesome container! What are succulents exactly, a certain kind of plant with a lot of variations, I gather? Are all those in your pots a form of succulent?

Cheers!

4. Kel says on September 30, 2010

So, I loved your drift wood SOOO much that I needed to get some of my own!!! Went to Aspen CO and found some, but I have NO idea how you hung them on the wall…..any tips?

Thanks!!!!!
    kel

5. Elisabeth says on September 30, 2010

I looked for that little plant caddy at home goods a couple of times and couldn't find any. I REALLY wanted one. Anyway, let me know if you ever find another one, I'd be happy to buy it!

6. Krystal Wight Armstrong says on September 30, 2010

Kel, based on a closer-up image of her installment piece, and the mention that she only spent $8 in hardware, I'm going to assume the driftwood was attached with metal L shaped shelf/wall mounting brackets. I suspect they look like this:

The image of the driftwood I referred to is in this post:

Holly, hope you don't mind my trying to help, since you've mentioned you have a billion e-mail inquiries to reply to right now :) And obviously if I'm off, you can correct me.

7. Holly and Sean says on September 30, 2010

THANKS so much Krystal!!

Kel, she is absolutely correct! You will want a few extra hands to help you play with the wood and find the side with the most flat sides, mark the wall where it will go and where these sides line up, then use about 3-4 L brackets to attach to the wall. Hope that helps!! (oh, and be sure to use anchors in the wall too!)

8. Jenny says on October 2, 2010

I don't know what most of those are, but the one in the middle (on the side that doesn't have the starfish) looks like “chicks & hens”.
    I have one of those, and I have yet to kill it! I have a pretty black thumb, but I've been able to keep several succulents alive (I also like to get mine at Home Depot).
    Watch the chicks & hens though. It's called that because it sends off little “chicks” that will reach over and start colonizing in the other pots!

9. Carmen says on January 11, 2011

Holly – What paint color did you use on the bench/table piece under the driftwood? That color would be perfect for my guest bedroom. Thanks!