Newspaper Ornaments

Christmas, crafting November 22, 2010
This holiday season I have dedicated one corner in the living room to be completely color free. Our Holiday colors are usually various shades of turquoise, blue and silver with little hits of pink and gold. But this one corner is my little holiday escape.
Photobucket
It all started when I saw these adorable ornaments at Anthropologie and decided I can probably make them for a fraction of the price.
Photobucket
While out treasure hunting I picked up this cute deer because it looked easy enough to wrap in paper (no sharp edges and a simple form). I also picked up an old box of ornaments for $1 to attempt in the event my deer bombed.
Photobucket The book was in a 5/$1 pile and didn’t appear to make good reading since the last pages were missing. I didn’t want perfect scissor cuts so I turned to a trusted old trick for perfectly straight yet torn edges: a wet paint brush. Wet a small brush and draw your line, then tear in about 5 seconds for a perfectly ripped edge.
Photobucket
For a variety of looks I covered a few balls completely with the paper after soaking it briefly in 50/50 water-glue mix. Basically, I paper machiered the ornaments.
Photobucket
For other ones I opted to just do a ring about it
Photobucket
or a few rounds for a mix of old paper and shiny silver.
Photobucket
My little deer turned out perfectly and will be appearing in a future post!
Photobucket
For our ornaments, I wanted to display them seperately from the regular tree so I went out in the yard and clipped a branch off one of the lilac trees.
Photobucket
I shoved it into an urn I wasn’t using and piled white pebbles around it to be sure it was steady and then we were ready to add our ornaments!
Photobucket
In the theme of our old book ornaments I switched the painting out for an old framed book plate.
Photobucket
A couple of stray chandelier crystals add a little extra sparkle and we were done!
Photobucket
Not too perfect, not too full, just the perfect amount of holiday dazzle for the minimalist in me!
Photobucket
And that’s our quiet holiday corner. How about you? What are you colors for the season? Do you stick with the same colors every year?

1. Audra says on November 22, 2010

As always it looks great Miss Holly! Can't wait to see the rest of your decor….I can't ever get enough of your style or your home.

2. Michael - Innkeeper says on November 22, 2010

love it, love it, love it!

i actually just saw in some catalog (maybe west elm?) where they covered a tree branch, like yours, with book pages. then hung ornaments.

where do you peoeple come up with these ideas!? genius!

thanks for sharing holly!!

3. jandjhome says on November 22, 2010

I love this! I want to make some ornaments this year. I had seen something similar at West Elm and was wondering if I could do it. I will be trying this soon.

4. Little Lovables says on November 22, 2010

Very pretty! I usually do the aqua and red, with lots of white.

Some years, I do just white and silver. I would continue to do that, but now that my children are older and love to pick out Christmas decorations and we get them as gifts, i have to add the color in.

5. Kassi says on November 22, 2010

Aw nice! My colors are red and silver usually. But my mom bought me an antique gold star tree topper, so I've gotta figure out how to incorporate the gold as well.

6. Deb says on November 22, 2010

I love this! It's so pretty, simple, and fun. I think I might even be ablt to attempt this myself. thanks!

7. bagfashionista says on November 22, 2010

that looks amazing!

i wasn't really planning on pulling out xmas deco since it'll just be me by my lonesome this xmas (long story, that starts with the big D word) but i may attempt this if i feel ambitious!

8. Preppy 101 says on November 23, 2010

Gorgeous. My tree is a very traditional tree filled with all kinds of ornaments from those that my children made in Vacation Bible School to more expensive collectible ornaments. Love the memories that go along with the ornaments. xoxo

9. Amanda says on November 23, 2010

Holly, it's not going to be any surprise to you that I love this, since I have been known to love everything you do. Shhhh, don't tell. ;) I've noticed myself leaning toward the much more minimalist end of things than ever. Last year, we did silver and (brace yourself)… RED! Although I see it lovely as ever in other peoples homes, it didn't feel right for me here. Soooo, I'm warning you now, I'm taking TONS of inspiration and down right copying a few of your ideas you shared last year. Silver, blue, turquoise, white and touches of gold even. The reindeer you glittered (found a brand new bare one at Goodwill TONIGHT for 1.50), copying it. The ribbon, copying it. The mercury glass candle holders on your mantle, I had to find them and I just received ones I ordered from Anthro on clearance!!! I'll get to posting soon. As always, thank you for sharing your lovely ideas with all of us, and particularly my sometimes less than creative self. :D

10. Itchin' Stitchin' says on November 23, 2010

Love it! I adore your lanterns too!! Every year I usually go with purple, red, and gold – but this year I am shaking it up – not sure yet what it will be :)

11. Soul Pretty says on November 23, 2010

You are one crafty lady…I was looking at old books in the thrift store yesterday…they were just .25 each and I could find a reason to buy them…Man, wish I had saw your post…

12. Mrs. SE says on November 24, 2010

I love the newspaper ornaments and deer! So creative and organic looking. We're doing red, silver, and gold for our Christmas theme.

13. Glamour Drops says on December 6, 2011

Good gracious this is clever! The deer has a completely different look – puts the emphasis back on the shape without any “colour”. Reminds me of the Expressionists who challenged the notion of having trees always painted in green. Delighted to find your blog, too, via Hey Look.

14. decoguy says on June 15, 2012

I know this post is about the newspaper ornament which I have to say is great but i must ask about the lights! they look like wire baskets made in to lamp covers. Is it? They look beautiful

15. Tanya Halligan says on November 17, 2012

Thank you for sharing, our present wrapping theme this year is newspaper tied up with coloured bakers twine, so these newspaper ornaments will fit in nicely.
    Have a blessed Christmas