Overdue Hellos!

Birthday, Christmas, stairs, Wren December 14, 2010
Happy Holidays my lovely friends! I have been going through blogging withdrawls over the last week or so, and while we have been having quite a rollercoaster of a month so far I cannot thank you enough for your comments and emails! I think I have popped my laptop open maybe 2 or 3 times at most over the last few weeks with only a few moments to read through your sweet words without the time or opportunity to write back and say
Thank You.
I have so many new and exciting things to tell you about that have built up like a pot boiling over, but to avoid overwhelming both myself and you I will spread it out a little. After the surgery I have been on a strictly enforced couch potato existance (which nearly drove me mad!) but even that didn’t seem to protect me from a nasty cold that either came home from the hospital with me or was already floating around here because it hasn’t been pretty. The one thing I actually want to do is sleep this cough and sore throat just won’t let me.

It also didn’t stop me from cracking the whip once in a while, reminding Sean that these stairs aren’t going to finish themselves! I usually don’t push him much, but we had a birthday party planned for last weekend and I had my heart set on at least finishing up all the messy work (like plastering, sanding, painting, etc…). And he didn’t disappoint, on top of already caring for Wren and me and working at the restaurant. But the most exciting thing he did was bring in this buffet before the party that I had been working on.
Photobucket
You may remember me mentioning it all the way back in February, but it slowly became crowded by more pressing pieces. The fact that this needed to have 9, yes, a whopping 9 layers of paint sanded and scraped off didn’t make it much of a fun job, hence the lack of motivation.

But we got it done (excluding the 2 handles we didn’t get on in time for the party) just in time to bring it in last Saturday. Sean really made my day with this one!!
Photobucket
He also made sure that our new-old door pediment was up. At 1am he was drilling holes for wall anchors, but it was soooo worth it.
Photobucket
We decided to go with a slightly cooler white than the walls, just enough to make it contrast ever so slightly in person.
Photobucket
And it adds a ton of much-needed character to the tall, blank wall. Now we just need to track down a new light fixture and we can check the entry off our list!
Photobucket
But the biggest of the jobs he managed to tackle these last weeks were the stairs. Not so much laying the flooring, because while it is a time consuming, tedious job we have done enough floors to feel comfortable with it. The much bigger job was repairing the walls from the carpet and getting them pretty enough to have simple, clean, white risers.
Photobucket
After installing the smooth, woodend back plate for the risers he platered and repaired all the edges. Once the plaster was all dry he had to set up yet another bubble (much like the one we did while spraying the railings) to keep all the dust under control when it was time to sand it smooth.
Photobucket
With a few passes of the palm sander and a fresh coat of paint they blend in perfectly and are exactly what we envisioned.
Photobucket
I don’t even mind the exposed wood, it was just that ripped, torn and ugly drywall that was really driving us mad!
Photobucket
Our poor wall of sea-side paintings took a little beating with all the hammering and banging and will definitely need to be leveled!
Photobucket
We wanted to get a little creative with the stair treads and try a different pattern with the wood. With long, linear lines for the main step contrasted by vertical planks between the railings all the way to the edge. Almost like a little trim going along the staircase.
Photobucket
Sean also did a fantastic job on the landing! He turned those lengths diagonally for added interest. Already it feels like night and day and all we can keep saying to each other is “why did we wait so long to attempt this?”. And I know why, because we like to give ourselves unreasonable and stressful deadlines to get this stuff done…
Photobucket
But it hasn’t been all work and no play. When Saturday rolled around I ventured out of the house for the first time in nearly 2 weeks to pick up the goodies. We did a variety of cupcakes again (we ordered 45 cupcakes and will be eatting them for breakfast lunch and dinner for the next wee!) as well as all Wren’s favorites from Duchess (our favorite local bakery!). I was so excited to finally use this tiered garden tray I’ve had laying around for the last couple years…
Photobucket
As well as getting to use some galvanized metal name plates that I found at Anthropologie a LONNNNG time ago for $3. They always seem to get forgotten at the back of the drawer, but with all this time on my hands I was sure to bring them out!
Photobucket
Wren’s big 2nd birthday party was a blast, and to follow it up on Sunday we had a brunch with my family where Wren got to meet Santa for the first time. She is absolutely enthralled by Santa movies, books and music but when it came time to actually meet her latest Hero this was about as close as she would get.
Photobucket
But all in all it was a fabulous weekend with good food, friends and memories. And more good food!
(and I think I gained back at least half the weight I lost with this whole ordeal, which is a GOOD thing!! It was starting to feel like the skeletor was looking back at me in the mirror)
Photobucket
Anyways, it is SOOOO good to be back and I can’t wait to share our December candle of the month as well as some exciting news from Sean!

1. Leslie G says on December 15, 2010

Everything is looking so good, Holly! I loved seeing tidbits of Wren's party. Can't believe our kiddos are two years old! Great family picture of you guys, too. =)

2. Stephanie says on December 15, 2010

What a sweet, sweet husband you have. That is true love. He gave 120%, which is priceless. Everything looks amazing, a lot has happened in that short period of time. Good to hear you are getting better and gaining weight, you will be back to your old self in no time! I bet Wren is talking all about her meet up with Santa! Even though she only saw him from a far :)

3. Teri says on December 15, 2010

Amazing doesn't even come close to the transformation of the buffet! You did just a stunning job.

I am following your stairs saga, because one day my husband will come home to the carpet ripped off ours.

4. Sue says on December 15, 2010

Holly,
    What a beautiful post! Welcome back and continue taking good care
    of YOU :-)
    The buffet is “Stunning”!!!!!

5. Anne says on December 15, 2010

Everything looks so good! Have you thought about painting the door in your entry way a contrasting color, like black or gray? Love the molding piece you added to the top.

6. Sixty-Fifth Avenue says on December 15, 2010

Everything looks fabulous! The buffet is really unique and so pretty! LOVE the pediment above the door…it looks like it was made to go there! And the stairs are looking great!

7. Petie says on December 16, 2010

Ooohhh! Do you have the recipe for the Chocolate Meringues? I sure hope so. I would love to make these for Christmas. So happy you are up and about. Love your blog and Merry Christmas.

8. Krystal Wight Armstrong says on December 16, 2010

Aw, yay, we're all obviously really happy to hear from you again, and w/ all the fun great news! (But I hope your cold leaves quick)
    That buffet is super cool; what neat ornamental details you were really able to show off so prettily! I was sad the pediment got painted, but for how you used it, it does work just right (and I love your entryway, it's got a really neat feel to it in that wideshot); nice job! Also really love the tilted photo of the entry table, the shiny lamp & green accent pops in the flower bowl looks so chic together somehow!
    And definitely congrats to you (and for sure, Sean) on how awesome your stairs have turned out. I'm completely impressed by the craftsmanship in those perfect diagonals of the landing (I'd love to ask more about details/tips on that); you guys should be proud! Hope your December only keeps getting better; but you all look quite handsome & Happy in your perfectly cute family photo! Ciao! :)

9. Stacey says on December 16, 2010

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I wanted to tell you how much I adore your home! Everything is absolutely amazing! Great work and thanks for sharing. ~Stacey

10. Krystal Wight Armstrong says on December 16, 2010

Incase Holly's cold keeps her away a few more days, Petie… Holly did bless us with her own amazing Meringue recipe! I just made my 2nd attempt at them a couple days ago! (mine weren't as fluffy 2nd time)
    Though I think the ones pictured are those she's mentioned from the Duchess bake shop. Anyway, using her blog's Search Gadget on the sidebar, one can quickly find that post: http://www.inthefunlane.com/2010/05/get-out-your-oven-mitts.html

11. Deb says on December 16, 2010

I love love love the tiered garden tray! I saw it somewhere else and would love to attempt making one for my wedding next month…if I have time with everything else!

As always, love all your pics and DIY work. So glad you're feeling better.

12. Rebecca says on December 17, 2010

Hi Heidi. I only stumbled across your blog relatively recently, but wanted to let you know that you've actually inspired me to start my own.

My husband and I recently bought a house that needs a lot of work, and you've made me realise how important it is to document the process and share it.

We're only in the very early stages, but if you're interested, here it is:

Hoping the rest of your recovery is speedy!

Bec

13. MelissaOK says on December 20, 2010

Holly you and your family are so beautiful! I'm loving so many things about this post:

– that tiered garden tray is gorgeous… I'd love to find something similiar for my upcoming wedding

– the new buffet is super cute

– and I'm love love loving the door pediment!

Glad you're feeling better!