Something’s blooming in our house.

crafting March 22, 2011
Photobucket
I love moss. It adds some green, a little bit of interest and doesn’t require any maintenance. Basically the perfect plant. And I owe a BIG thank you to a lovely lady by the name of Andrea who was sweet enough to share her fabulous take on Pottery Barn’s oh-so-pricey moss letters.
Very inspiring! I immediately knew the perfect spot to add some extra flair for spring, the hallway to our laundry room which features a large antique mirror that showcases our ever changing projects and decor. So I ran off to Michael’s and loaded up on letters and moss.
Photobucket
Moss is a little pricier than I thought and I quickly realized I would probably need several bags to do a few letters, yet I only had 1 40% off coupon. Then I spotted this moss table runner (rolled up in the bag), I believe it was about $20, but worked out to $12 after using my coupon and will last me for YEARS to come and dozens of moss projects.
I cut the moss into various shapes and hot glued it to my letter. You could theoretically cut the shape of your letter out of the sheet, but I wanted it to feel slightly uneven and irregular like a real patch of moss so I pieced it together. Then I hot glued some faux bois ribbon (circa 2007 from Martha Stewart) to hang.
Photobucket
I’ve only had time to work on the B, but will be completing L, 2 O’s, and a M today.
Photobucket
I have also been contemplating adding a little contrast by painting the frame for a few months and will maybe tackle that as well.
Photobucket
THANKS again to Andrea, and here’s hoping the next 4 letters turn out as well as the B, but even if they don’t at least I have use for a good B (it’s our last initial).

1. laxsupermom says on March 22, 2011

Love it! I've been working on my own Moss Letter, too! I grabbed my moss from the dollar store, it's amazing what you can find there in the floral section. Love the ribbon you chose. Thanks for sharing.

2. Jenn says on March 22, 2011

It looks great! I was at Michael's yesterday to purchase the Queen Bird you had on your trunk and I found a little moss covered rabbit figurine. There are two rabbits covered in moss together and two different poses to choose from for just $2.99 each! They were on an end cap by the ribbon. I love the look of moss and the pop of green! You have great DIY's. Thanks for sharing :)

3. Margaret says on March 22, 2011

Very cute! I did a moss topiary using the same general method, except I used spray adhesive and straight pins to secure the moss to the foam (naturally pins wouldn't work here), but for working with foam and moss, you can't beat it.

I think the contrasted frame would look gorgeous! Of course, its stunning as it is now, but it would certainly pop! for spring!

xo
    Margaret

4. Audra says on March 22, 2011

Looks great! I also love moss and initials. I made a giant 4 foot moss 'W' that I hung on the main wall at our wedding reception. I hated to throw it away afterwards, but who has room for a 4 foot 'W'? Can't wait to see the finished project.
    I also have a personal request: I would love to see your closet now that you have everything moved in-we are redoing our's this summer and I am shopping for ideas.

5. Kacey says on March 22, 2011

Love! I've been debating how to bring in some green to our boring house – this might be just the answer. I'm creatively-challenged, but I think even I can handle this! Thanks for sharing.

Kacey

6. Kirsten says on March 23, 2011

New reader found you couple of months back….LOVE everything you do. I'm mother of three and exploring new carer options. Maybe one day can have a business much like yours here in Australia…..many questions i might have in future. you are inspiring and full of so much energy to create! Thanks for constantly sharing

7. The enchanted home says on March 23, 2011

So clever!! Funny I love moss too…what is it about moss of all things? I just bought a huge bag yesterday and went to town putting moss anywhere that looked like it needed it (only a fellow moss lover could understand what that means) GREAT IDEA!

8. Pretty Little Things for Home & Life says on March 23, 2011

Love it! Totally knocking off this idea for myself now lol.

I have been looking to add something to hang on the mirror in our front entrance. This just might work.

I think you should leave the frame white and paint the wall behind it a little more colorful. :)