shaking things up

Dining Room, living room April 4, 2011
I feel like I am good at sharing a fragment of a room here and there, but need to try and improve on sharing full rooms. I realized this all too well when I was looking through our Reno links and realized almost all the rooms look different. REALLY different. So I am on a mission to slowly but sure update them, and continue to do so as they change (all too frequently sometimes, so forgive me if it is a challenge to stay on top of). The living room /dining room actually change the most frequently as far as furniture goes, but layout and general furniture positioning usually stays the same. And I have to offer a caveat that while I took these photos on Saturday the dresser is already long gone and a new table is about to come inside (and I think you may be shocked when I show you. Like REALLY shocked!). But in the event you were curious what it looked like for approximately 5 days here are the photos.

I am still swooning over the new trunk. It is the first thing I see when I come down the stairs in the morning and I smile every day!

See those baskets filled with pillows? what you can’t see is that under the pillows are dozens and dozens of Wren’s books. I like to think of our living room as the bat-cave of toys. Every cupboard, corner and basket hides books, gadgets and toys. If you were to open any door it would cause a small landslide of My Little Ponies. I have continued to struggle with the large open layout of these rooms, and have found that large scale items are the best, but I still debate on painting the walls (it looks particularly bland thanks to the cloudy day I shot on).

Our former TV stand hangs out under the logs for now.

I took our last dining room rug upstairs to the office, so I was short a dining room rug until this one came home with me a few weeks ago. It was laying all rolled up on the floor at HomeSense without a tag, I knew I wanted it and a lovely sales associate marked it at $99. SOLD!

We haven’t hung the mirror yet, as logic tells me it is probably best to delay hanging a 3 hundred pound mirror until after a lot of banging and smashing 6 feet away is finished.

Now if only I could figure out how to host an online dinner party I would happily have you all over!

1. Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely says on April 4, 2011

I really, happen to love the casual look of the giant mirror leaning against the wall sitting on the floor. If I were you, I'd save my save the big work of hanging it and leave it like it is. Gorgeous!

2. michelle b @ every little thing says on April 4, 2011

HI Holly,

Your house looks gorgeous, as ever…I spied the lamp shade frames on the top of your hutch!! Lovely! And a question, did you paint the trunk? I have one very similar from the 40's…but it's black…just wondering if you painted yours?

3. Holly and Sean says on April 4, 2011

Awww thanks so much ladies! I am tempted Ann Marie! It may play out just like that LOL.

Michelle, I didn't paint the trunk, it came like that. But I can tell someone painted it since the hardware was all painted as well. Good luck with your black one!!

4. Melodie says on April 4, 2011

I love the way you've laid out the rooms. I think adding touches of natural wood and shades of beige really warm up all of the white!

5. laxsupermom says on April 4, 2011

Your home is just gorgeous! Love the deep color of your floors! Your slipped furniture looks fantastic against your floors. Thanks for sharing.

6. Preppy 101 says on April 4, 2011

I adore the mirror leaning against the wall. Everything is gorgey! Please come to Tennessee and redo my house :-). xoxo

7. THE PAINTED PARLOR says on April 4, 2011

Wow! You have a gorgeous home, jealous ;) I thought the mirror was suppose to be sitting there, I agree with Ann Marie, I like it there! be-u-tee-ful!

8. The enchanted home says on April 5, 2011

Drooling over the entire room….just gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous…pefectly elegant without being fussy. So charming…..the painted trunk adds a lot of character to the room. WELL DONE!!

9. Anji Johnston says on April 5, 2011

So beautifully serene – you sure know how to set the mood! I am so envious of this room. Thank you for the inspiration. Now – where do I find a mirror that big?!!

10. Penelope says on April 5, 2011

I so adore your design style – it must take serious self restraint to limit the colors and keep such a peaceful & cohesive look. wondering…with 2 kids of my own…how in the world do you keep it looking peaceful? and where is all the kiddie garb that swarms my home??

11. Penelope says on April 5, 2011

i adore your style – it must take serious self restraint to limit the colors and keep it so peaceful & cohesive… i'm wondering where all the kiddie garb is that erupts in my home every time i clean up??

12. Meghan Henley says on April 6, 2011

Your home is gorgeous! I have been looking for some really great dining chair covers and yours are by far the most elegant I have seen. Where on Earth did you find those?

13. Robyn says on April 20, 2011

I adore the ways your rooms all work together with the colour scheme, and I especially love those extra dark wooden floors. They're on my wish list.

14. Lindsey says on June 17, 2011

Okay, so I have a question re: the backwards books on the shelf. I love the effect (clearly, since our books are arranged by color which continues to perplex the hubs).

In a stunning home like yours, I wonder to myself, “Where do you store the real stuff?” Like the paperbacks you enjoy, the DVD collection, etc.? Some of those things aren't pretty, but need to be stored/displayed somehow. I think we have found creative ways to do this in our home, but I'm wondering your solution to artfully storing all the unattractive day-to-day things? Is there a secret closet???

thanks,
    Lindsey
    A Pear to Remember

p.s. since I don't know if I'll be notified of your response, and I'm darn curious: apeartoremember@gmail.com