Easter Entry

crafting, easter April 15, 2011
I don’t know why, but we have lived here for coming on 3 years and have never opened our box of Easter decor. I guess when you have a lot of renos happening you just don’t feel like doing any more cleaning than you have to… but yet I still find time to decorate for Christmas so this year I decided to stop making excuses. Getting our house Easter Bunny ready has been the mission this week!

When I finally cracked open that container of Easter stuff I liked about half of it and was scratching my head at the other half. So Wren and I did some digging and decided to repurpose various items for a look that was more fitting with our house. We have also been hard at work at a fun craft involving eggs… but it isn’t quite at the unveiling stage.

Starting at the front door we decided to welcome guests with something that is bound to please: a chocolate, candy and poetry combo.

Our DIY chalkboard has served us well in so many rooms and seasons, but has taken a little hiatus over the last year.

I think that is my favorite part of DIY projects and upcycling, the frame cost me $2, the chalkboard paint was left over from another project and the mdf was just pennies out of the scrap bin at Home Depot, so you don’t feel any guilt or remorse when it doesn’t get used for a while.

The quote seemed quite appropriate until just yesterday, and if you live in Alberta you know exactly why I no longer agree with this sentiment. And you also understand why my pictures are so grey. Bleh.

Our box of Easter items had some sugar coated egg ornaments which ties nicely with our wreath on the front door, but I forgot how hideous the matching tree was. So we broke out our little book tree from Christmas Past.

Same tree circa December 2010.

And an assortment of goodies will keep ’em coming back for more! You know what’s so hilarious to me? When I look back at all our past decor shots it always appears to be a perpetual “in progress” shot LOL. We definitely need to get our butts in gear so some of these photos don’t constantly have unfinished business peeking out. It almost looks silly to be decorating around this stuff!

Ok, enough rambling about our half-finished renos and time to get back to them!

1. Suzanne says on April 15, 2011

Cute! How do you get such pretty font on the chalkboard? Don't tell me your normal handwriting looks that nice!!?

2. Lorrie says on April 15, 2011

I like the quote. It signifies hope in the face of the awful weather. I live on Vancouver Island and although we don't have snow, it's cold, cold, cold for here.

3. Holly and Sean says on April 15, 2011

Thanks so much ladies! I have to admit, my handwriting is total chicken scratch so I usually print off the quote in a font I like and then free hand it trying to reproduce it as best I can. It only takes a little bit more time since there isn't any tracing or transferring involved, just a steady hand.

4. alamodeMaven says on April 16, 2011

Girl, you did good. I pride myself in my taste and my home decor and my Easter sign on my door is so ugly. LIke U.G.L.Y. lol It says 'the bunny stops here' WHAAAT? Did I even buy that? My hub dug it out of a bin and shacked it up there. I have been so busy with starting the blog (and being mommy), ironically, it is still up there. Ugh. xoxo Shelli

5. Amanda says on April 16, 2011

i miiiiight just be copying the quote onto our kitchen chalkboard seeing as it's said “what to do” with nothing under it (bc who really wants to adorn a pretty chalkboard with a list of things to do?) and have needed something more seasonally appropriate. :)

of course it all looks great, even with your unfinished stairs!

6. laurenmack1129 says on April 26, 2011

Love the simple Easter decor and seeing little Mungkee doggie in the shots! It's impossible for me to get pics without one of my dogs sneaking in!