Quick Floral Frog

Finds January 14, 2012
The thing I love about having a neutral home is that when the mood strikes it is so cheap and easy to add a pop of color. Flowers are usually the fastest and cheapest route so it becomes a bit of a game to find fun and creative ways to incorporate them in unusual ways.
Usually the cheapest flowers at my grocery store are carnations. They are not super glamorous or even that popular nowadays but when I’m looking for temporary color cheap is the biggest factor.
A really cheap and neat way I have found for displaying flowers with thin stems is by repurposing a parmesan/chili shaker as a floral frog. I have a few frogs, but with clear containers they aren’t all that pretty. Plus this takes all the guess work out of flower arranging by separating and staging the blooms pretty much effortlessly.
I was given this one in a pile of cast offs from a family member but even brand new I am sure they are pretty cheap and easy to track down.
A little color for a winter kitchen.

1. Razmataz says on January 14, 2012

People always apologize for carnations, but I think they are really lovely. Not when they are dyed appalling shades of blue, but the pretty pinks and whites look great in a group. Your container looks really great. And they have a very pretty scent.

2. Jeannie says on January 14, 2012

Thanks for the beautiful photos holly! I think all flowers are pretty. Especially in your lovely home!

Maxwellhouseinteriors.Blogspot.Com

3. Posy and Co. says on January 14, 2012

LOVE IT! It is pretty much the norm around here to have fresh flowers in the house. Budget, however, is always a consideration and good old carnations fit the bill perfectly. LOVE your stove by the way! Much love, Lisa

4. Lesley says on January 14, 2012

I think your carnations look awesome! Who said they couldn't be anyway? lol Love the shaker container. Last month I made candle lanterns out of them for the holidays and posted about it. They are just great little things….

5. Kacey says on January 15, 2012

Cute idea! I can't wait to pick up a shaker and try this. I'm kind of terrible at flower arranging. Also, how cool is your happy yellow “EAT”?!

6. Art and Sand says on January 17, 2012

Yesterday I was looking for little splashes of color from my garden. I found some greenery and popped it into a cut last cruet. It made a nice little addition to my bathroom shelf. Flowers make me smile.