Family Room shuffle

family room February 8, 2012
I am not sure if I’ve ever mentioned it, but I have a major love of milk. Totally random, but I drink a jug by myself every 2 or 3 days. So it funny that I never noticed my love of it creeping into my design style, specially in the family room (aside from the fact that milk is awfully white and so is our house!).
Milk crate? today it is a fire wood holder.
It has been a major evolution over the last 3 or 4 months as the kitchen finished up, but even on a dark, dreary winter day like this I can easily call this room my favorite.
It is a strange mix of formal and polished with fun and shabby. One thing not so polished? the silver tray. I have a love of tarnished silver (I’m sure my grandma and mom would cringe at the idea of walking past a tarnished item day after day).
There’s my love of milk again!
Looking into the kitchen/sun room. I think subconsciously I have blocked out the amount of time and work I put into the ceiling. It was such a nightmare, from the priming of every piece, to the dry wall and plaster crumbling in my hair and eyes as we installed it… a labour of love is a major understatement!
Just some proof that we do have a toddler running around here! I could probably up my basket/toy organizing game but this will do for now.
Easily the most awkward area is this little spot behind the couch. It was hard to locate a sofa table so this little sideboard worked out well as the perfect storage spot. Some old baskets were recent auction finds and infuse some texture and warmth to the room.
More baskets piled by the TV often hold borrowed library movies and books.
I scored this fun folding table on clearance at HomeSense for $20. It is a little small for the corner but I am on the hunt for a cool lamp that will add some substance and ground it a little.
Looking into the kitchen. I am SOOOOO happy that we didn’t color match the wood floors to a trim for the ledge. It was super duper cheap to do white trim and also makes the step noticeable from the kitchen so people don’t trip or fall. I didn’t realize dark floors were so dangerous until we had 3 different people fall there!
If you are just stopping by for the first time or haven’t had a chance to see what the original room looked like be sure to check it out by clicking here.
And I will be updating the “semi-finished Family Room” link under our renos tab soon with these photos and all the details on the transformation.

1. Alison says on February 8, 2012

It looks great! I need to replace my hardwoods, how do you like the dark color. Everyone says don't go dark they show everything!
    How is it in real life?

2. {Jordan Anne} says on February 8, 2012

I live in the area, and I'm wondering what auctions you find? I haven't been so lucky as to find any recently or ever, for that matter!! :)

3. Brittany says on February 8, 2012

Looks great! I love all the milky whites in your home but with 3 kids 5 and under and a love of grape juice it would terrify me!

4. Susan says on February 8, 2012

Very beautiful! There is so much beautiful natural light in the room and I love the board and baton on the walls!

5. Rebecca says on February 9, 2012

I second the question on your dark hardwoods! Do they show everything? We have a little one and a little dog and are planning on building a house. I want to do dark hardwoods similar to yours but I am nervous! Can you weigh in? The space looks awesome by the way!

6. Sunday says on February 9, 2012

BEAUTIFUL! I love the room. Are those slip-covers on your sectional? They are exactly what I like, but I can never find them. Did you make them? Or is it just the actual look of the couch without slipcover?? Either way it's gorgeous! I put dark wood floors in my kitchen and i LOVE them. They show some, but I'd rather know it's dirty then not see it and just hope :) I have 4 kids and a dog and I don't mind them at all – especially with 4 kids to do the sweepting for me :) They are especially pretty next to the white cabinets and trim!

7. Sarah Cotton says on February 9, 2012

It looks great, such wonderful inspiration. Thanks for posting! Love all the baskets and the glass knobs look awesome on the furniture.

8. Dawn says on February 9, 2012

Looks fabulous Holly!
    I spied the RH stools in the kitchen that you had been waiting for. I'm about to hit the 'buy' button on those same stools…just wondering if you're satisfied with them? Thanks!

9. Kelley says on February 10, 2012

I think this is the best this room has ever looked. Love the pops of color (and not your typical choices, either, thank goodness), and use of space.

10. April says on February 18, 2012

Hi, love the family room. The dresser is awesome! I was wondering if you would share where you purchased the fabric for your chair. I absolutely LOVE it!

11. Leigh says on February 27, 2012

Beautiful family room!
    Is the sectional sofa an Ikea Ektorp? If so, how do you like it? Have the cushions held up pretty well? I am considering buying the Ektorp sofa with chaise and am asking anyone who owns one how they like it.
    Thanks!

12. Leigh says on February 27, 2012

Beautiful family room!
    Your sectional looks like the Ikea Ektorp… if so, how do you like it? Have the cushions held up well? I am considering getting the Ektorp sofa with chaise and am asking anyone who owns one what they think about it. Please let us know!
    Thanks.